The St. Cloud State University wrestling team will open its 2015-16 season on Sunday, Nov. 15 with a trip to the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.
The Harold Nichols Open features many of the nation’s top collegiate wrestlers at all levels of competition. No teams scores are kept at this open meet. SCSU has enjoyed success in recent seasons at this tournament and last year Clint Poster placed first in the 157-pound bracket with a 5-0 record.
In addition, Larry Bomstad placed second at the Nichols Open in 2014 at 149-pounds and Austin George placed second at the tournament in the 285-pound bracket. The action is slated to begin at 9 a.m. and fans can follow the tournament brackets through the trackwrestling.com website.
SCSU WRESTLING HEADLINES:
- SCSU unveiled its 2015 NCAA wrestling championship banner at the annual Black/Red Classic intrasquad match on Nov. 6 in Halenbeck Hall. The team was also presented with its 2015 NCAA championship rings.
- At the intrasquad match, Team Black charted a 24-15 win over Team Red.
- Coach Steve Costanzo begins his 10th season with the Huskies in 2015-16. He owns a 136-26 record during his tenure with the Huskies. He is 78-3 in dual meet action over the past four seasons at SCSU.
- SCSU won its first-ever NCAA Division II national team title in 2015. SCSU gained 84.5 points in the meet, while runner-up Nebraska-Kearney had 76.5 points and Maryville had 61.0 points.
- The Huskies were picked #2 in the Division II Preseason Coaches’ Poll for 2015-16. Maryville was the number team in the poll, while SCSU and UN-Kearney shared the number two position in the poll.
- SCSU’s Tim Prescott (125), Clint Poster (157) and Austin Goergen(285) all earned number one preseason individual rankings in the DII poll, while Gabe Fogarty gained a number two ranking at 165 in the preseason poll.
- SCSU was ranked number two in the Division II Super 3 Region preseason poll for 2015-16 behind Maryville.
- Clint Poster tied a team record last year with 40 wins (40-1). He ties the 40 win record along with Shamus O’Grady, who had 40 wins in 2012-13 and Tad Merritt in 2010-11. His lone loss last year came at the NCAA DII championships.
- A three-time All-American, Poster owns a 108-14 career record at SCSU. Of note, the most wins in a career at SCSU was set by Tad Merritt with 144 wins from 2008-12.
- SCSU will travel to the Iowa State Open on Nov. 15 in Ames, Iowa to open its 2015-16 season of competition.
View More College News