Manchester City will investigate reports that defender Benjamin Mendy hosted friends at his house on New Year’s Eve in breach of Covid-19 restrictions.
According to a report in The Sun, Mendy has admitted allowing a chef and two friends of his partner to attend his Cheshire home, despite regulations which prevent people from different households from mixing indoors.
READ MORE: Five priorities for Pochettino in charge of PSG…
A Manchester City spokesman said: “The club is aware of a New Year’s Eve Covid-19 breach involving Benjamin Mendy and the subsequent media reporting of it.
“While it is understood that elements of this incident have been misinterpreted in the reports, and that the player has publicly apologised for his error, the club is disappointed to learn of the transgression and will be conducting an internal investigation.”
A spokesperson for Mendy did not deny the allegations in a statement given to The Sun.
“Benjamin and his partner allowed a chef and two friends of his partner to attend his property for a dinner party on New Year’s Eve,” a statement said.
“Ben accepts that this is a breach of Covid-19 protocols and is sorry for his actions in this matter. Ben has had a Covid test and is liaising with Manchester City about this.”
City are among the clubs to have suffered an outbreak of the virus within their squad in recent days, with their match away to Everton on December 28 postponed at late notice after the number of players affected reached five.
On Saturday, pictures emerged of Tottenham trio Erik Lamela, Sergio Reguilon and Giovani Lo Celso attending a large house party in London over the Christmas period in clear breach of the regulations.
A statement from Spurs said the club “strongly condemn” the actions of the players, who could now face internal discplinary action.
West Ham’s Manuel Lanzini was also in attendance at the same party. The player issued an apology on social media for his “bad mistake” while the club said the matter had been dealt with internally.
Meanwhile Fulham, whose match at Burnley on Sunday has been postponed due to positive cases at the club, are investigating pictures that emerged on social media on Friday showing Aleksandar Mitrovic and his fellow Serb Luka Milivojevic of Crystal Palace, along with their two families on December 31.